Neue Wache / New Guard House
The New Guard House was built in 1816 as a guardhouse for the troops of the Crown Prince of Prussia. The New Guard House held this function until the end of the First World War and the fall of the German Empire. In 1931 the government of Prussia transformed the New Guard House into a monument to the German war victims.
During the Second World War, the New Guard House was severely damaged by bombing and artillery .
The reopening of the New Guard House took place in 1960 as a "Memorial to the Victims of Fascism and Militarism". After the unification of Germany in 1993, followed a preliminary final transformation to the "Central Memorial of the Federal Republic of Germany for the Victims of War and Dictatorship".
The New Guard House is soberly furnished with a copy of the sculpture "Mutter mit Totem Sohn" by German artist Käthe Kollwitz. Kollwitz made this sculpture following the dead of her son Peter during the First World War.
- Text: Fedor de Vries & STIWOT
- Photos: Barry van Veen (1) & Fedor de Vries (2,3,4)
Address and contactinformation
- Unter den Linden
- WWII grade:
Where is it?
Sorry, no map found.
- Berliner Unterwelten (Air Raid Shelter Brunnenstraße)
- Luftschutzraum/Dokumentenbunker Tempelhof
Point of interest
- Bullet and Grenade Impacts Grave Memorials Georgen-Parochial-Friedhof II
- SA-Prison Papestraße
- German War Graves Blankenburg
- German War Graves Pankow VI
- German War Graves Berlin-Friedrichswerderscher
- Stumbling Stone Münchener Straße 25
- Stumbling Stones Schwäbische Straße 17
- Stumbling Stone Großbeerenstraße 24