Fort Santiago was built by the Spanish between 1589 and 1592. During the Japanese occupation of the Philippines, it was used as prison and the dungeons for torture of the inmates. The fort was heavily damaged by U.S. artillery fire during the Battle of Manila (3.2.1945 - 3.3.1945).
The fort today:
It was restored after the war and now it is a tourist attraction. It is possible to visit the dungeons.
- Text: Kaj Metz
- Photos: Erich Schmid (1) & Wikimedia Commons (2)
Address and contactinformation
- Bonifacio Drive
- WWII grade:
Where is it?
Sorry, no map found.
Point of interest
- Nielson Field
- Chapel of the Most Blessed Sacrament
- Former Japanese Garrison Ang Simbahan ng Santa Ana