Batterie de Longues-sur-mer
Built in the first few months of 1944, the naval battery at Longues was equipped with four 150-mm guns, housed in casemates, and a range-finding post embedded in the cliff face.
Thanks to the range of its guns, the battery could fire on both the Omaha (American sector) and Gold (British sector) beaches.
Although it was heavily bombed prior to D-Day, it was still capable of opening fire on the invasion fleet in the morning of June 6th 1944. At daybreak, it engaged in a duel with several Allied cruisers before being silenced in the evening. The next day, it was captured by the British without a fight.
Longues Battery is the only one in the region to have kept its guns, and because of its excellent state of preservation, it is well worth a visit.
- Text: Office de Tourisme Intercommunal Bayeux
- Photos: Ewoud van Eig
Address and contactinformation
- 14400 Longues-sur-Mer
- WWII grade:
Where is it?
Sorry, no map found.
- Musée-Mémorial du Général de Gaulle
- Musée-Mémorial de la Bataille de Normandie
- Musée des Épaves sous-marines du Débarquement
Point of interest
- Russian 76.2mm M1902 Gun Longues sur Mer
- Phoenix Caissons Mulberry B Tracy-sur-Mer
- M4A2 Sherman Tank Arromanches-les-Bains
- Plaque 50th Northumbrian Infantry Division
- Memorial Allan Beckett Arromanches-les-Bains
- War Monument Bayeux
- Commonwealth Memorial of the Missing Bayeux
- Commonwealth War Cemetery Bayeux
- German War Graves Bayeux