Atlantikwall - Museé de la Batterie de Merville
The museum is located in the casemate N° 1 of the battery. It recalls the fighting and the attack by the British parachutists. It shows an important collection of weapons, equipments, uniforms and documents linked to the battle.
For current visiting hours, please visit the website of the museum.
- Text: Museé de la Batterie de Merville
- Photos: Ewoud van Eig
Address and contactinformation
- Avenue de la Batterie de Merville
- +33 02 31 91 47 53
- +33 02 31 91 47 53
- WWII grade:
Where is it?
Sorry, no map found.
Point of interest
- Monument 1st Battalion, The Royal Norfolk Regiment
- Memorial Princess Irene Brigade Bréville-les-Monts
- Memorial Appeal of 18 June Ouistreham
- Impressive museum. Not because of the bunkers themselves, which are not very special (in comparison with e.g. Longues-sur-Mer and Azeville), but because of the museums in the bunkers. Especially the bunker with a video-presentation of the assault on the battery and an interview with the assault-commander Lt.col. Otway contains some moving material. This bunker contains stories with photographs of British soldiers, KIA, like the one of two brothers, both paratroopers; you can read the last letter of one of them, Stan, to his mother that was found on his body. Or the story of paratrooper Corteil and his “paradog” Glen, who were found together, killed on D-day. While reading this touching stories, bagpipe music is played. The whole atmosphere of this setting makes one at least stand in silence for a while...
Spectacular is the show in the last bunker of the battery. With light-effects and still man-size puppets the assault on the bunker is imitated. The shouted orders, in German naturally, the screaming, the deafening sound of the gun (“Feuer!”), machinegun-fire and the metallic sound of a hand-grenade, bouncing on the bunker floor, together with the flashes and smoke in a dark bunker-room give an impression of the dramatic and chaotic events that took place. Not suitable for small children by the way.
- By: Jaco der Nederlanden
- City: Heerhugowaard
- Date and time: 13-06-2011 14:05:04
- Ranking: 5 out of 5 stars