Plaque H.F. Westerveld
The plaque is located on the wall of the Marriotthotel in Amsterdam.
The text on the plaque can be translated as:
THE SEXTON H.F. WESTERVELD
HOUSED HERE WITH LIFE RISK
FOR HIMSELF AND HIS FAMILY
FROM 25-3-1943 TO 5-5-1945
THE GENERAL HEADQUARTERS
OF THE ILLEGAL POLICE DEPARTMENT (O.D.)
The O.D. was an illegal organisation during the Second World War and had it's goal to protect the peace after the defeat of the German occupiers. The members of this organisation consisted of military personal of the defeated Dutch Army. Nevertheless the O.D. was during the occupation involved in resistance actions against the Germans. During the war more than hundred members were caught and executed.
- Text: Ewoud van Eig
- Photos: Ewoud van Eig (1) & Anneke Moerenhout (2,3)
Address and contactinformation
- Stadhouderskade 21
- WWII grade:
Where is it?
Sorry, no map found.
- Anne Frank Huis (Anne Frank House) Amsterdam
- Jewish Historical Museum
- Memorial and Museum Hollandsche Schouwburg Amsterdam
Point of interest
- Grave Resistance Fighters Amsterdam
- Dutch War Graves Zorgvlied Cemetery
- Commonwealth War Graves (New Eastern Cemetery)