German Headquarters 1940 (Wolfsschlucht 1)
In French they called it the "Grand quartier general allemand 1940".
Close to the small place of Couvin lies a small bunker "Abri d’Hitler", with 2 wooden barracks. It is a big terrain in a woody environment. The terrain lies near a church and a bar. In the town, time seems to have halted. The coffee tasted delicious, but the atmosphere was as if in the war.
The church is a story apart. In 1940 Hitler had ordered to remove the church bell and to place a water tank for his men in the tower. There are still regularly held memorials over here. When we were there in June 2000, there were many veterans there for a service.
In those barracks are 2 exhibitions.
For current visiting hours, please visit the website of the museum.
- Text: Ron & Agnes van Os
- Photos: Anneke Moerenhout (1,5) & Bert Jans (2,3,4)
Address and contactinformation
- Place Saint-Méen
5660 Brûly-de-Pesche (Couvin)
- WWII grade:
Where is it?
Sorry, no map found.
This article is also related to the following persons (Overview)
* April 20th, 1889
† April 30th, 1945