Stalag VIII A
(Poland - Lower Silesian - Zgorzelec)
Stalag VIII A was a German POW camp during the Second World War and was situated near the city of Zgorzelec.
Although Stalag VIII A had a capacity of 15.000 prisoners, it held 47.328 POW's at one time. On 14 February 1945 the camp was closed. About of 12.000 Soviet prisoners died here.
The camp today:
All the camp building were demolished after the war. Today a memorial site is located on the spot where the camp once stood.
It is possible to visit an exhibition about Stalag VIII A on ul. Powstancow Slaskich 1 in Zgorzelec.
- Text: Kaj Metz
- Photos: Wikimedia Commons
Address and contactinformation
- ul. luzycka
- WWII grade:
Where is it?
Sorry, no map found.
Point of interest
- Memorial Victims National-Socialism Görlitz
- Memorial Polish 2nd Army Zgorzelec
- Memorial Former Evangelic Cemetery