John S. Thompson Bridge
(Netherlands, the - Guelders - Grave)
On 17 september 1944 the peletonscommandant Lieutenant John. S. Thompson of the 82nd Airborne Division landed with 16 of his men next to the Graafsebrug. This bridge is located across the Meuse river at the height of Grave.
On one of the casemates near the bridge, stood an anit-aircraft emplacement. This was destroyed by an American Bazooka.
Eventually the peleton succeeded to take the south of the bridge. Later on that day was also the north side of the bridge captured by the Americans.
After the Second World War, the bridge got the name of Lieutenant John S. Thompson. This happened during the commemoration in september 2004 by the widow of John S. Thompson.
- Text: Marcel Jans
- Photos: Arjan Vrieze (1) & Marcel Jans(2,3)
Address and contactinformation
- Arnoud van Gelderweg
- WWII grade:
Where is it?
Sorry, no map found.
Point of interest
- Peel-Raamstelling - Weir Paulweg (Mill)
- Plaques in Chapel Zeeland
- Peel-Raamstelling - Weir Nieuwenhofweg (Mill)
- Collective Grave Victims Bombing of Nijmegen
- Dutch War Graves Nijmegen
- Grave Civilian Casualty Herpen