This is the highest point of the road on the Périers Ridge between Périers-sur-le-Dan and Plumetot. On the maps of the Allies this point was indicated as "Point 55".
In the afternoon of June 6, 1944 units of 21. Deutsche Panzer-Division dived in the gap between Sword Beach and Juno Beach using this road. While they were under fire from Allied anti-tank guns small German units succeeded to reach the beach near Lion-sur-Mer around 19.30 hours. Overwhelmed by the sight of the invasion fleet and the arrival of the Allied air fleet that carried out Operation Mallard the German troops soon withdraw.
- Text: Barry van veen
- Photos: Barry van Veen
Address and contactinformation
- WWII grade:
Where is it?
Sorry, no map found.
Point of interest
- War Memorial Cresserons
- Pegasus Trail - Drop Zone Nan Ranville
- Plaque First Liberated Town Hall Bénouville
- Commonwealth War Cemetery Cambes-en-Plaine
- Commonwealth War Graves Ouistreham
- Commonwealth War Cemetery Ranville