(France - Basse-Normandie - Bénouville)
Pegasus was the name given to a bridge over the Caen canal, near the town of Ouistreham.
The bridge, also known as the Bénouville Bridge after the neighboring village, was a major objective of the British 6th Airborne Division, which was landed units by glider near it during the Normandy Invasion on the 5th/6 June 1944. It was given the permanent name of Pegasus Bridge in honour of the operation. This name derives from the shoulder emblem worn by the attacking British, which is the flying horse Pegasus.
- Text: Jeroen Koppes
- Photos: Arjan Vrieze (1,2,3,4) & Ewoud van Eig (5)
Address and contactinformation
- Place du Commandant Kieffer
- WWII grade:
Where is it?
Sorry, no map found.
- Memorial Pegasus Ranville
- Atlantikwall - Museé de la Batterie de Merville
- Museé du débarquement nº 4 Commando
Point of interest
- War Memorial Démouville
- Memorial Battle of Bois des Monts and of Château St. Côme Bréville-les-Monts
- Memorial Killed Railway Employees Caen
- Commonwealth War Graves Breville
- Commonwealth War Graves Ouistreham
- Commonwealth War Cemetery Ranville