Feste "Prinz Friedrich Karl" / Fortress Metz - "Fort Saint-Quentin"
This French fort was built from 1867 to 1870 and expanded/modernized by the Germans in the period 1871-1898. It was armed with 119 guns and consists of two sub-forts. During the First World War, the fort was used as resting place for Germans troops marching towards Verdun. It was eventually occupied by French troops in 1919.
From 1939 to 1940, the fort served as air defence headquarters of Metz and saw no fighting during the Battle of France in 1940. During the German occupation, the fort served as storage site and firing range. It saw heavy fighting in 1944, after the U.S. Army launched an offensive against the German troops in and around Metz.
- Text: Kaj Metz
- Photos: Wikimedia Commons
Address and contactinformation
- WWII grade:
Where is it?
Sorry, no map found.
- General Memorial French National Cemetery Metz
- Commemorative Tree French National Cemetery in Metz
- Memorial Liberation Metz
- Commonwealth War Grave Sainte-Ruffine
- Commonwealth War Grave Moulins-lès-Metz
- French War Cemetery Metz