Atlantikwall - Hillman Bunker
Hillman Fortress is located in the southern part of Colleville-Montgomery, formerly known as Colleville-sur-Orne. Colleville-sur-Orne was a landingzone of the British 3rd Infantry Division under the codename Sword Beach.
Colleville was mainly defended by the fortress Hillman, a concrete set of 600 meters long where the headquarters of the 736th Regiment Grenadiers was established, with networks of barbed wire and machine-guns. The First Suffolk Regiment had to attack twice before the reinforcement was taken around 20:00 hours.
The fortress Hillman with his twelve half buried concrete buildings connected by underground passageways, is now managed by a local association.
- Text: Kees Jan Koster
- Photos: Kees Jan Koster (1,2), René Winters (3,4) & William van der Pluijm (5)
Address and contactinformation
- WWII grade:
Where is it?
Sorry, no map found.
Point of interest
- Château d'Amfreville
- Abbaye-aux-Hommes – Église du Vieux Saint-Étienne
- Anti Tank Gun Pegasus Bridge Bénouville
- Remembrance Bench Scottisch Airborne Soldiers Ranville
- Plaque First Liberated Town Hall Bénouville
- War Memorial Saint-Aubin-d'Arquenay
- Commonwealth War Cemetery Ranville
- Commonwealth War Cemetery Hermanville
- Commonwealth War Graves Herouvillette