Atlantikwall - Hillman Bunker
Hillman Fortress is located in the southern part of Colleville-Montgomery, formerly known as Colleville-sur-Orne. Colleville-sur-Orne was a landingzone of the British 3rd Infantry Division under the codename Sword Beach.
Colleville was mainly defended by the fortress Hillman, a concrete set of 600 meters long where the headquarters of the 736th Regiment Grenadiers was established, with networks of barbed wire and machine-guns. The First Suffolk Regiment had to attack twice before the reinforcement was taken around 20:00 hours.
The fortress Hillman with his twelve half buried concrete buildings connected by underground passageways, is now managed by a local association.
- Text: Kees Jan Koster
- Photos: Kees Jan Koster (1,2), René Winters (3,4) & William van der Pluijm (5)
Address and contactinformation
- WWII grade:
Where is it?
Sorry, no map found.
Point of interest
- Monument 1st Battalion, The Royal Norfolk Regiment
- Anchor Norwegian destoyer Svenner
- Memorial Appeal of 18 June Ouistreham
- Commonwealth War Cemetery La Delivrande
- Commonwealth War Grave Touffréville
- Commonwealth War Grave Douvres-la-Délivrande