National Liberation Museum 1944-1945
From history came a modern museum, situated between hills and woodsand located in one of the most beautiful spots in the Netherlands, 10 kilometers south-east of Nijmegen and Arnhem. History is brought back to life again at the National Liberation Museum 1944-1945.
In the museum, visitors live through the period preceding the war, experience the occupation, celebrate the liberation and witness the rebuilding of the Netherlands and Europe after the war.
By using smells, interactive presentations, dioramas, models, original films and sound fragments, the liberation is depicted captivatingly. The museum shows both young and old the current value and importance of democracy, freedom and human rights.
* Secret closet for hiding and playing Radio Orange
* Bird's-eye-view model of Operations Market Garden
* Human rights wall and tolerance test
* Air-raid shelter and Liberation Street
* Authentic nose section of Waco glider
* Dilemma game: make life-altering decisions
* Diorama of the Waal Crossing
* Lower-Rhine war
* Honorary Dome with Roll of Honor (containing the names of all Allied soldiers who died between D-Day and 8 May 1945)
Activities and programs:
* Tours and regularly changing expositions
* Film evenings and lectures
* Educational programs
* Special activities for children
* Walking and cycling tours
* Battlefield tours (by bus or bicycle)
* Year events: commemoration of the dead on 4 May, celebration of National
Liberation Day on 5 May, Liberation Market in September and Poppy Day
For current visiting hours, please visit the website of the museum.
- Text: Nationaal Bevrijdingsmuseum 1944-1945
- Photos: Nationaal Bevrijdingsmuseum 1944-1945 (1,5) & Barry van Veen (2,3,4)
Address and contactinformation
- Wylerbaan 4
6560 AC Groesbeek
- WWII grade:
Where is it?
Sorry, no map found.
Point of interest
- Remains Sint Martinuschurch Gennep
- Castle De Mookerheide Mookerheide
- Catholic Church St. Antonius Frasselt