Deutsch-Russisches Museum Berlin-Karlshorst
On May 8, 1945, World War II was brought to an end with the surrender of the German Wehrmacht at Berlin-Karlshorst. The bloodiest conflict of modern history to date claimed a death toll of at least 50 million people.
In 1967, the Soviet Army stationed in the GDR founded the Museum der bedingungslosen Kapitulation des faschistischen Deutschland im Großen Vaterländischen Krieg 1941 - 1945 ("Museum of the Unconditional Surrender of Fascist Germany in the 'Great Patriotic War' of 1941 - 1945"). The museum was located in the same building where the signing of the capitulation took place in 1945. Initially, the museum was open only to members of the Soviet Army; however, soon afterwards, it opened to the general public.
The German unification on October 3, 1990, and the withdrawal of the Soviet Army raised new questions as to the future of the museum as well as the artifacts it contained. The Soviets offered to maintain the collection at Karlshorst and to allow for the continuation of the museum. The renewed museum opened its doors to the public on May 10, 1995.
For current visiting hours, please visit the website of the museum.
- Text: Deutsch-Russisches Museum Berlin-Karlshorst
- Photos: Auke de Vlieger
Address and contactinformation
- Zwieseler Straße 4
- +49 (0)30-50 15 08 10
- WWII grade:
Where is it?
Sorry, no map found.
Point of interest
- Collective Grave German Soldiers
- German War Graves St. Hedwig - St. Pius (Berlin)
- Mass Grave Victims of Bombardments Hospital