Memorial Hampden AE 248
(Netherlands, the - Friesland - Koudum)
Monument for the Hampden AE 248 bomber. It was shot down over the IJsselmeer on its way to Bremen by a German fighter. Only the Canadian pilot survived, 3 others, 1 Canadian, and two Englishmen died. They were buried at the Koudum cemetery.
The crew consists of:
- F/L Kingsley Ewart Brown, Pilot
- Sgt. Robert Oscar Williams, Navigator
- Sgt. Robert William Rowland Whytock, Radio operator/Gunner
- Sgt. John Noel Waddington, Radio operator/Gunner
The first picture gives an impression of the monument. On the second picture you can see Mary Bethune, the fiance of R.O. Williams, with mayor Hayo Apotheker at the unveiling.
- Text: Harry Doesburg
- Photos: Harry Doesburg
- Stichting Missing Airmen Memorial Foundation
Address and contactinformation
- Tjalke van der Walstraat 31
- WWII grade:
Where is it?
Sorry, no map found.