Kaufhaus des Westens (KaDeWe)
The Kaufhaus des Westens (KaDeWe) is a large department store, built in neoclassical style of reinforced concrete. The building was opened in 1907. On 23 november 1943 an Allied bomber flew into the building. This crash caused a large fire which badly damaged the building. Between 1943 and 1946 the building was in ruins. The remnants of the KaDeWe were formed into an important German strongpoint during the Battle of Berlin in 1945.
The bullet impacts on the building are still visible nowadays.
- Text: Kaj Metz
- Photos: Kaj Metz
Address and contactinformation
- Tauentzienstraße 21
- WWII grade:
Where is it?
Sorry, no map found.
Point of interest
- War Damaged Church Bell Berlin-Heinersdorf
- Bullet Impacts in Facade National Paintings Museum
- Kleiner Bunkerberg (Leitturm Friedrichshain)
- Mass Grave German Soldiers & Civilian Casulaties Invalidenfriedhof
- Grave Carl von Ossietzky
- German War Grave Plötzensee
- Stumbling Stones Courbièrestraße 5
- Stumbling Stones Fasanenstraße 58
- Stumbling Stone Kastanienallee 29