During the Battle of Berlin, the Charlottenbrücke was one of the last remaining bridges in German controle and was defended by elements of the Hitlerjugend (Hitler Youth). On 1 May 1945, the German army and many cititzens succeeded to retreat from the centre by crossing this bridge under heavy shelling from the Soviet 47th Army. Heinrich Himmler's brother (Erwin Himmler) was killed in action during this breakthrough.
- Text: Kaj Metz
- Photos: Oorlogsmusea.nl (1,2) & Kaj Metz (3)
Address and contactinformation
- WWII grade:
Where is it?
Sorry, no map found.
Point of interest
- Plaque Marta and Lion Feuchtwanger
- Memorial Community Synagogue Spandau
- Plaque Resistance-group Mannhart
- Symbolic Grave Captain at Sea Ernst Lindemann
- Grave Erich Mühsam
- Polish War Graves Berlin-Charlottenburg