Maas-line - Casemate 110S
This Dutch S-casemate with climbing tube was built in 1939 as part of the Maas-line. This casemate contains many grenade impacts from the fighting on 10 May 1940. Three Dutch soldiers (J.Tromp, Groenenberg & Van der Rijt) were killed in the fightings. Tromp was killed by a direct hit of a large AP grenade, Groenenberg was killed by shelling near the casemate and Van der Rijt was killed in a trench near the casemate.
On 10 May 1940, the 254.ID attacked this region to capture the railway bridge at Mook. Katwijk (com. Cuijk) was defended by the 3-II-36 R.I. and 13 casemates of the Maas-line.
- Text: Kaj Metz
- Photos: Wikimedia Commons
Address and contactinformation
- Liefkeshoek 77
- WWII grade:
Where is it?
Sorry, no map found.
Point of interest
- Remains Sint Martinuschurch Gennep
- Footpath Airborne Market Garden Mook
- H. Lambertus and St. Brigida Church Middelaar
- Memorial Killed Dutch Soldiers
- Memorialpark Canada-The Netherlands
- Memorial Civilian Casualties Milsbeek