Location Former Memorial Feldherrnhalle
After the "Beer Hall Putsch" in the Bürgerbräukeller on 8 November 1923, the Nazis and Hitler marched heavily armed to the government area. At the Feldherrnhalle the Nazis were stopped by the Bavarian police and shootings breaked out. 16 Nazis and four policemen lost their lives.
After Hitler came to power in 1933, a large memorial for the killed Nazis (with also a plaque for the policemen) was erected on this location and it was used for meny ceremonies. Two SS guards kept vigil day and night.
On 3 May 1945, the memorial was dismantled by the US Army. Later on, also the foundations have been removed.
The photo of the street shows the location where the fightings took place.
- Text: Fedor de Vries
- Photos: Ewoud van Eig
Address and contactinformation
- WWII grade:
Where is it?
Sorry, no map found.
Point of interest
- Collective Grave Members "Weiße Rose" (The White Rose)
- Italian War Graves München
- Commonwealth War Graves Oberschleißheim