This neo-baroque structure from the early 20th century was supposed to be one the main sights of the "Welthauptstadt Germania", as dictator Adolf Hitler and his personal architect Albert Speer would have liked to have seen. The distance between the pillars were widened and a new bridge was built in 1939. During the battle of Berlin, in April 1945, the Charlottenburger Tor (which was used by that time as a tank obstacle) was taken by the Polish 1st Infantry Division "Tadeusz Kościuszko".
- Text: Kaj Metz
- Photos: Wikimedia Commons
Address and contactinformation
- Straße des 17. Juni 113
- WWII grade:
Where is it?
Sorry, no map found.
- Jüdisches Museum Berlin (Jewish Museum Berlin)
- Stiftung Topographie des Terrors (Topography of Terror)
Point of interest
- Russian War Cemetery Schönholzer Heide
- Invalidenfriedhof (Invalids' Cemetery)
- Mass Grave German Soldiers Dorotheenstädtischer Friedhof