Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial
(Luxembourg - Luxembourg - Hamm)
The area around the town of Luxembourg was liberated by the U.S. 5th. Armored Division on 10 September 1944. On 29 December 1944, a temporary military cemetery built by the 609th Quartermaster Graves Registration Company of the U.S. 3rd Army. In 1946, with the help of German prisoners of war, the work started with building and placing of a number of monuments, a chapel and an office. In 1960 the cemetery took on its final form and the official opening was made on the July 4th 1960.
In the beginning about 8,412 military personnel were buried here, but after a while 5,050 of them were transferred to the United States. In 1948 the remains of approximately 1,700 military personnel that were buried in the neighborhood of Longuyon in France and Foy in Belgium were transferred to this cemetery bringing the total of graves to 5,076. Among them buried here, at the head of the cemetery, is the grave of General George Patton jr..
Click for more information on the overview at the bottom of the page.
- Text: American Battle Monuments Commission
- Photos: Lennard Bolijn
Address and contactinformation
- 50 Val du Scheid
- WWII grade:
Where is it?
Sorry, no map found.
Point of interest
Amongst others, the following persons are buried here or mentioned on the Wall of Missing (Overview)
|Butler, James D.|
† February 3rd, 1945
Plot: E Row: 13 Grave: 45
|Daly, Thomas A.|
† February 23rd, 1945
|Johnson, Harold W. (US-774th TD)|
† March 6th, 1945
Plot: H Row: 2 Grave: 72