(Belgium - Luxembourg - Bastogne)
The "Mardasson" memorial was inaugurated on 16 July 1950, and celebrates the lasting friendship between the American and Belgian people who were united by the Battle of the Ardennes in December 1944 and January 1945.
The monument takes the form of a star with five points, each 31m long. Engraved in gold lettering, the story of the Battle can be read on the walls of the open gallery. A walkway situated at the summit, is accessible via a spiral staircase and offers the visitor a panoramic view of the defensive positions held during the siege of the town. There is also a superb ornate mosaic by the French artist Fernand Léger, which is completely dug into the rock. The crypt shelters three altars that celebrate the Catholic, Protestant and Jewish religions.
- Text: Bastogne Tourisme
- Photos: Ewoud van Eig (1,2,3,4) & Yvonne Stock Tepen (5)
Address and contactinformation
- Colline du Mardasson
- WWII grade:
Where is it?
Sorry, no map found.
- Bastogne Barracks (Headquarter Gen. McAuliffe)
- Bastogne Historical Center
- 101st Airborne Museum Le Mess
Point of interest
- Battlefield Marker Longchamps
- Memorial Easy Company 101st Airborne Division
- Liberty Road - Kilometre 1146
- My wife and daughter and I briefly visited Bastogne and the Mardasson Memorial in July of 2007. The place is especially meaningful to me because my father was one of the truck drivers remembered as having fought for the country as if it were his own. He earned his Combat Infantryman's Badge with the 106th Division, and was listed as Missing In Action. He was made a Prisoner Of War, and some months later, two British soldiers took him with them as they escaped to the Allied lines. We were too late to see the museum, but the memorial was worth driving to and from Strasbourg that day to see it. The memorial is a beautiful symbol of the gratitude of the people of Belgium, and I highly recommend a visit to anyone interested in WW2 military history. I will go again, earlier in the day, someday.
- By: J.P.
- City: Mukilteo, Washington, U.S.A.
- Date and time: 21-08-2009 16:51:44
- Ranking: 4 out of 5 stars