The Reichstag was the German Parliament. After the NSDAP and Adolf Hitler took power the parliament had only a symbolic meaning under the dictatorial regime. In this building the members of parliament met until it was set to fire. After that the meetings were held in the Kroll Oper. During the Nazi regime the parliament met for the last time in 1942, under the presidency of Hermann Goering.
During the Second World War the Reichstag was bombed several times. A factory of the AEG, a field hospital and a gynecological institute were established in the ruins. Several hundred babies were born here.
During the Battle of Berlin in 1945 the Reichstag, due more to symbolic than to strategic value, was one of the major goals of the Red Army. It was defended by the 11. SS Freiwilligen-Panzergrenadier-Division "Nordland" and elements of the 33. Waffen-Grenadier-Division der SS "Charlemagne". On 28 April 1945, fighting erupted around the Reichstag when the 150th, 171st and 207th Infantry Divisions of the 79th Infantry Corps (3rd Shock Army - 1st Belarusian Front) launched an assault. On April 30 1945 the banner of the 150th Infantry Division was hoisted over the Reichstag. However, the fighting inside the building lasted until 1 May 1945.
After the war the Reichstag was rebuilt.
(translation by Dan Reid)
- Text: Kaj Metz
- Photos: Kaj Metz (1) Corine Aalvanger (2) & Rob Korteland (3,4,5)
Address and contactinformation
- Platz der Republik 1
- WWII grade:
Where is it?
Sorry, no map found.
- Bezirksmuseum Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg
- Otto Weidt’s Workshop for the Blind
- Jüdisches Museum Berlin (Jewish Museum Berlin)
Point of interest
- Invalidenfriedhof (Invalids' Cemetery)
- Mass Grave Geman Resistance Fighters Berlin
- German War Graves Berlin-Wedding
- Stumbling Stones Oranienstraße 145
- Stumbling Stones Rungiusstraße 33
- Stumbling Stone Landauer Straße 15