Peace Chapel Prinsenbeek
In Prinsenbeek this Peace Chapel can be found. The Maria Chapel was built in 1953 and commemorates the liberators of Prinsenbeek that were killed during World War II. In 1980 the chapel was named the Peace Chapel.
On the outside is a plaque with the text (translated from Dutch to English):
1944 - 1994
In the chapel there is also a plexiglass plate with the text (translated from Dutch to English):
On October 30th 1944 Beek (now Prinsenbeek) was liberated by soldiers of the First Polish Armoured Division.
To St. Mary was pledged to build a chapel as one could stay free of war- violence and damage.
At the end of October 1944 at Nieuw Veer raged a fierce battle for three days .
Beek was about eight days a battlefield.
With donations and cooperation of the population of Beek the chapel could be build.
On May 23th 1953, the chapel was consecrated as the Chapel of Mary and on May 4th 1980 used as a Peace Chapel, then also the plaque with the names of the fallen Poland was added.
Every year on May 4th, the Dutch Remembrance Day takes place at this place.
October 30th 2004
Inside the chapel is also a marble plaque bearing the logo of the First Polish Armoured Division and the following text:
DECEASED IN PRINSENBEEK
F. BLOTKO 1-11-1944
F. GRZYB 2-11-1944
J. HAWRYSZCUK 31-10-1944
S. KORNAS 2-11-1944
K. HELJASZ 2-11-1944
J. SKSZYDLO 1-11-1944
And another marble plaque with the text (translated from Dutch to English):
IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR
PRINSENBEEK WAS SAVED
FOR A MAJOR DISASTER
BY THE COMMUNITY
THIS CHAPEL WAS BUILT
WITH RESPECT WE REMEMBER
ALL THEM WHO IN THE FIGHT
FOR FREEDOM GAVE
- Text: Paul Moerenhout
- Photos: Anneke Moerenhout
Address and contactinformation
- WWII grade:
Where is it?
Sorry, no map found.
Point of interest
- Polish Street Terheijden
- Memorial Windows St.Bavo Church Rijsbergen
- Register Victims 1940-1945 Etten-Leur
- Information Sign Radarstation "Bisam Stelle"
- Plaque Victims Second World War Etten-Leur
- Memorial on Polish War Cemetery